This teaching resource (lesson plan, presentation slides and worksheets) is an introductory lesson to money for key stage 1 (ages 6-7, Year 2, Grade 1). It helps children begin to develop a basic understanding of the concept of money as a system of exchange. Children will learn to recognise money in note and coin form and understand that they have different values. The lesson also introduces them to foreign currency.
By the end of the lesson, students should be able to:
- Recognise and identify 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 (old & new) and £2 coins; as well as £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes.
- Recognise coins that are not used in the UK.
- Use role-play to exchange goods for coins, and be able to count out the right amount of change.
With just 5-10 minutes of preparation needed, the Money and Exchange of Money lesson plan consists of:
Teaching guide with:
- A list of required resources & materials – 90% of which, are provided
- Clearly defined learning objectives and outcomes
- Step-by-step teaching instructions
- Suggested teaching scripts with links to relevant presentation slides, and discussion questions
- 5 Activities and corresponding photocopiable worksheets
- 2 Homework/extension worksheets - to further enhance the lesson and challenge your students with real-life scenarios that provide practical money management skill-building opportunities.
- 24 Colourful presentation slides - to supplement your classroom teaching and engage the pupils
- Pre and post evaluation questionnaires - to help you measure the effectiveness of this or any other financial literacy programme.
This lesson plan is intended for use in a range of settings, by educators who want to address basic money management issues, or add financial literacy to their curriculum and range of skills taught. It may be particularly relevant if you are a:
- After-school educational services provider
- Youth worker
Format: 5 PDF Documents:
- Lesson Plan/Teaching Guide
- 24 Presentations slides
- 1 Pre-Evaluation Questionnaire
- 1 Post Evaluation Questionnaire
- 2-Page Pre/Post Evaluation Questionnaire Guide.